Blackwork inner solar system
This large blackwork pattern depicts the sun and the inner four planets of the solar system. There are 74 different blackwork fill patterns to enjoy. The completed design as stitched is at least 34 cm wide and tall so it should bring you many hours of relaxing stitching.
The stitches used are simple backstitch or double running stitch for the blackwork fill, stem stitch and couching for the outlines, a small number of regions have French knots or Algerian stars.
The large size and simple stitches mean that pattern would suit a range of experiences: it could suit a committed beginning embroiderer, an experienced cross-stitcher looking for something new, or someone like me: that just loves blackwork patterns and could stitch them all day.
- Evenweave fabric (The model was stitched on 40 count linen over two and three threads to create a 34cm diameter piece. Other thread counts and sizes are given in instructions)
- Note: this design would be very difficult to execute on Aida fabric and is not recommended.
- Stranded cotton in one strand for the blackwork stitching
- Coton a broder #25 for outlining (substitutions are suggested in thread details)
- Small amounts of metallic thread (optional: gold is used around the sun, and metallic blue is used for the Earth. Substitutions are suggested in thread details)
Included in this booklet:
- Ten pages of helpful instructions including order of work, hints and tips
- Complete list of materials and tools required, including substitutions
- Stitch guide and thumbnail images for each of the 74 blackwork regions
- Full 13 page chart of the entire design